A Professional Nurse â Sex Worker Programme vacancy is available at our Client Wits Health Consortium’s Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (RHI) in Salt River – Cape Town.
The Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (Wits RHI) is a renowned African-led research institute that seeks solutions to Africa’s health challenges.
It is located within the University of the Witwatersrand and addresses some of the greatest public health concerns affecting our region, including HIV and its related problems, sexual and reproductive health and vaccinology. This is done through pioneering, multi-disciplinary research; responsive technical support and innovation in health services; and evidence-based policy development and advocacy with national, regional and global stakeholders.
Main purpose of the job:
- The Professional Nurse will provide comprehensive quality HIV and Primary Health Care services to Key populations within fixed and mobile clinical settings.
- Salt River – Cape Town
Key performance areas:
- Provide comprehensive sex worker friendly clinical services within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Provide Primary Health services, counselling for and promoting risk reduction and holistic patient care.
- Provide HIV Counselling and Testing (HCT), Nurse-initiated and managed antiretroviral therapy (ART), and pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) according to DoH guidelines; identify and refer patients with ART failure or complications and support Counsellors promote patient adherence to ART.
- Provide Sexual Reproductive Health Care (SRH) including Family Planning and Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) screening and treatment.
- Conduct TB screening.
- Prescribe and dispense appropriate treatment in line with good pharmacy practice.
- Support and guide Peer Educators to provide support to clients prior, during and post treatment.
- Support delivery of health promotion and education programmes.
- Perform and comply with administrative procedures associated with accurate clinical record keeping and reporting including patient records and confidentiality.
- Implement and comply with relevant policies, procedures & protocols.
- Assist in standardization of procedures, tools & infrastructure.
- Take part in ongoing Quality Improvement Planning and quality assurance of the operational activities of the clinic.
- Support the development of project plans and timelines for addressing identified needs and priorities.
- Contribute to accurate Monitoring and Evaluation (ME) processes.
- Support the review of challenges and achievements in implementing a donor funded programs.
- Participate in research studies conducted at the clinic.
- Compile or give input into relevant donor and Wits RHI reports.
- Integrate feedback from quarterly reports into programme implementation plan and subsequent progress reports.
- Participate in short term rotations to other Wits RHI clinics within the district in times of staff shortages when needed.
Required minimum education and training
- Diploma/Degree in Nursing (NQF Level 5).
- Registration with South African Nursing Council (SANC).
- Dispensing License
- NIMART registration
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- Understanding of the challenges facing sex workers in the health context
- An ability to communicate and work well with sex workers
- Willingness to work in unconventional community settings, brothels and hot spots
- Previous experience in Sexual Reproductive Health (SRH) services and ART adherence support.
- Knowledge of national, provincial and district health structures
- Knowledge in clinical and data management and analysis
- Able to priorities own workload and work towards deadlines
- Self-motivated, able to work independently, takes initiative and work as-part of a multidisciplinary team
- Pro-active, able to exercise discretion and independent decision making
- Able to speak African languages
- Attention to detail
- Report writing skills
Required minimum work experience
- 5 years’ experience working in an NGO setting or Department of Health primary health care setting
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV – Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 13 November 2020.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position